Friday, March 23, 2007

Pre-op Shananigans

Ladies and gents, I am exhausted! What a LONG day it was, but I survived.
First appointments of the day were at the hospital. I had to fast from 12am the night before. I was to be at the hospital for 8:30am and start with blood work, x-rays, and EKG. With traffic, I only got there at around 9. I went up to Dr. Christou's office and was given 3 papers (1 for each test) and a bunch of overwhelming directions to my stops within the hospital. So I went and did that was was shocked to be done all 3 within an hour! It went better than I expected, the worst part was probably laying on a bed topless with my boobs hanging out and a weird doctor sticking probes everywhere for the EKG, but it was fine. I was out of there by 10:15am and headed to the clinic for the rest of my day.

I got to PsycheSoma at 10:30, an entire hour before my appointment. The wait wasn't long at all and it was great to meet Ellen again. They called me in to do my body composition and BP. Then it was time for my psych evaluation. It was kind of awkward at times, because the doctor would just stare at me and nod and there would be a silence in the room while he just looked at me. It went well and he seemed to like my plan of action for handling emotional eating and stuff. He also loved my idea of taking a picture a day post-op. After that I did the metabolic rate breathing machine test thingy-ma-jig and that was even more awkward because all I had to do was breathe and have the doctor stare at me breathing for 10 minutes. That too went fine, as silly as I felt.
After this I met with the physical therapist who made me do push-ups, run on the treadmill, do squats..all for the first time in a while, so needless to say I was winded pretty quickly and definitely not a wise thing to do on an empty stomach for 12+ hours.
After the physical assessment, I went downstairs and grabbed something to eat..then back up to meet with the nutritionist. Her I couldn't handle. She seemed very judgemental and it made me pretty uncomfortable to tell her what I was eating because she kept making faces. I put up with it and in the end she gave me some pretty solid advice...but by this 3rd appointment I was pretty discouraged and ready to head home.
At 4pm, I met with the medical doctor and she was an absolute sweetheart! She looked over my results of the entire day and told me that I had made a very wise choice...and that my youth would definitely help me and that if I kept my attitude, the surgery would work marvelously. She even said my skin should have no problems setting back into place. I could have done cartwheels when she said that. She also recommended I swim in the summer which I definitely will be doing!

So that was it, I left with my 4 boxes of Optifast ready to go. 39 days people!

PS My body composition and measurements were:

Weight today: 269 lbs.
Height: 5'4"
BMI: 46.2
BMR: 2038 cal/2290 cal actual
Body Fat: 52.3 %
Fat Mass: 140.51 lbs.

Bicep: 45cm
Waist (navel): 134cm
Hips (butt): 129cm
Chest (boobs): 141cm
Right thigh: 76cm

I can't wait to check those again in 6mos!

No comments: