Thursday, July 5, 2007

Day 65


I found a yummy protein bar! I found a yummy protein bar! I found a yummy protein bar!
Finally, I have been hunting for a good, low-sugar, low-carb, low-fat bar for what seems like forever now (see May 31st blog entry). I had tried the regular Atkins protein bars, but they tasted like cardboard. The only one I liked I can't find close to home anymore.
Peanut Butter Granola bar has 200 calories, 8g of fat, 19g of carbs, 1 g of sugar, and 17g of protein! Good deal if you ask me. It tastes like peanut butter and honey on toast.
I also found individual protein powder packs by Weider. I got the iced tea flavour, and I'll probably hate it, but with 20g of protein, I might as well give it a try.
In other news, I went to my GP this morning for my annual. She didn't know about my RNY...we had talked about it a couple of years ago, and then she gave me the referral last year, but that was it. She didn't know much about the surgery, so I told her everything I was taking and she seemed genuinly interested in what I knew. It was a fun appointment, my blood pressure was the lowest it's ever been in the 3-4 years I've been seeing her too. It's never been high, but this morning it was excellent. She also gave me the prescription for b12 injections. I'll be getting the same doses as the pills, 500mg a day roughly. For the first 5 days, I have to go to the clinic every morning, and then it's once a month. She gave me a years' worth of prescriptions and the best part is, my co-pay is $2.78 a month! I was expecting much worse. Aside from that, we also talked birth control...I had been looking into Nuvaring. Something post-ops struggle with is malabsorption, making BCPs potentially ineffective. So Nuvaring it is, this too was cheaper than I thought it would be, cheaper than pills anyway!
That's my big 9 week update. I made a mistake of weighing myself this morning, I gained 2 lbs. How? Who knows! It's all good though, no more scale-stepping for a few days.


2 comments:

Susy said...

Yup, hate that scale stepping. I've got on everyday this week and last since my gain of a bit over a pound. Can I ask you about the b12 injections? I know the little pill I take in the morning gives me a little pep. Why are you taking b12 or did your surgeon suggest it? I don't know much about them, but wondering. What or how will they make you feel? You don't seem like you could be lacking many nutrients or vitamin already could you? Did she take blood from you or just think its good for you/body to do this for sometime? Just picking your brain. E mail me...I’ve found a couple of the Atkins protein bars I like too. Have not tried that one yet, but will try it now.

Amber said...

OK, so where do I get the bars? They sound good and I've been looking and looking but everything is so high in sugar! Post where to buy! :) Keep up the good work! Can't believe you're already 65 days out. Seems like only a couple weeks ago you were getting ready! Also, I keep reading about these B-12 shots, what is their purpose?