Sunday, September 16, 2007

Day 138

I have a lot to say tonight, so I better get crackin'.

When I made the decision (back in January!) to start blogging about my journey it was so that I could keep myself accountable. Well folks, I feel like I haven't been honest lately, so here it goes. I've been feeling crappy, physically and emotionally. It's just been really tough for some reason. I'm blaming my hormones, and my eating habits as of late. It's hard to put into words. I guess you could say I've taken my weight loss for granted. I've had it really easy so I've just been floating around, mindlessly for the past few weeks. It's almost like I've lost my identity. I used to hide behind my weight and I was very 'comfortable' doing that apparently. I feel down and I feel incredibly guilty about feeling down. I'm starting to think that it's this guilt I've been feeling that has been sabotaging me in a way.

That was a lot of rambling but I realized a lot today at support group. I definitely have issues I need to work through. That's what this surgery is about, right? Such an emotional roller-coaster. I will get past this though!

At support group today, Jean-Loup Sylvestre (nurse coordinator of the bariatric clinic) came and talked about the "golden rules" of gastric bypass. Most of them were no-brainers (ie no drinking with food, exercise, proteinproteinprotein etc) but one rule which was different was the snacking rule. I was always been told to have 3 meals, and 2-3 snacks. The first few months were easy, there was no way I could have had all those snacks. Now on the other hand, I feel hungry a lot more of the time and I've been counting on those snacks to get me through certain days. Lately I've been snacking on crap not because I've been hungry, just because I've felt I had to be eating more. Anyhoo, apparently my clinic is now telling patients not to snack, unless we're starving of course. That changes things a bit, I don't know if I could go a day without snacking. This week will be a test.

This week will be different from other weeks.

  • Journaling every BLT (bite, lick, taste)
  • Exercise, just move whenever I can. I've gotten into a nasty habit of plotting my butt on the couch and not moving at inch.
  • No more sweets. Yesterday I had a biscotti. Well, 2 halves, about 5hrs apart. I've been pushing my sugar boundaries way too much. It has to stop.
  • Less carbs. My pouch can tolerate bread again which is a mixed blessing.
  • Diet coke. Enough said.

That's my plan for the week :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think snacks are all that bad -- but the key is what we are actually snacking on. If it is fruit, protein - that's awesome...but if it is nutritionally deficit carbs...that's the danger. We become too happy eating empty carbs.